[mythtv-users] help picking FE/BE components

David L idht4n at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 06:47:46 UTC 2009

I'm new to mythtv and about to build my first system.  A frontend/backend
system that I will also use when I work from home for compiling,
running matlab etc, so I want more horsepower than myth alone would
probably require.  Here's what I've tentatively picked so far:

AMD Phenom II 965 Black 3.4 GHz X4

Motherboard (this is the one I was least sure about, but I'd prefer to buy
my case,mobo,processor, and ram together at a local brick&mortar shop,
and this is one I found on Fry's web site as being compatible with Phenom II)
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5
AMD 790FX + SB750 Chipset
http://www.frys.com/product/5842583  ($49)
(I must be missing something... why is NewEgg 3x the price?  Are these
different motherboards with very similar part numbers?  If so, is the cheap
Fry's one good enough?)

Corsair 4GB DDR3 1600MHz PC3-12800

Video Card (I really have no clue here... I just googled "mythtv best vdpau" and
found a thread that recommended this one):
SPARKLE SFPC84GS512U2LP GeForce 8400 GS 512MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI HDCP
Ready Video Card

Hard drives:
2 of these (one for OS, one for video)
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA
3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

HD Homerun
OTA and/or Cable

I haven't picked one yet... thought I just get a recommendation at Fry's.
Now that I say it, that sounds kind of scary.  Anything I should look out

Does this system look like something that will work well with mythtv?
I plan to use Mythbuntu if that makes any difference although I could
be convinced to try something else.