[mythtv-users] What flavor of Linux are you using?

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 16:35:31 UTC 2009

> I think the tone has remained friendly.

I agree.

> When I asked if it was worth it I was curious if a compiled Linux is
> faster than a precompiled one on the same hardware.

I would say that is not one of the reasons I use gentoo. I mean sure
you compile the os and all applications with the full instruction set
for your current processor instead of a 386 or 586 but even now if you
are using a 64 bit distro the software should be compiled with at
least SSE3 support so this is improving with binary distros as well.
Theoretically the extra instruction sets provide extra performance in
operations (video and audio processing) that mythtv does all the time.

John