[mythtv-users] .srt subtitles with .22 internal player?

Carl-Magnus Björkell carl-magnus.bjorkell at pp.inet.fi
Sun Nov 22 15:49:50 UTC 2009

Hey all,

As far as I've understood from the wiki and various posts on the web and
this mailing list, it should be possible to get mythvideo (at least in
.22) to show .srt subtitles for given videos? Mind you that at least I
haven't been able to find any definitive answer to this question.

My problem is, as you may have guessed, that I'm not able to show any
subtitles in mythvideo. What I've tried so far:

* The .srt is the same name as the video. (only different filename
extension)
* The "automatically show captions" checkbox has been checked in the
setup screens
* I've tried pressing 'T' like crazy when the video has started playing,
but all I get is "No captions"
* 'mythfrontend -v playback | grep -i srt' gives me nothing

So, should this even be possible with 0.22-fixes? And if so, could
anyone give me a hint as to what I'm doing wrong?

As a side question, is the internal player able to handle embedded
subtitles yet? Such as embedded in .mkv's and the like?

I would really want to get rid of mplayer as and external player and
just use the internal player, but not being able to se subtitles for
archived material really is a stopper for me :/

-Calle