[mythtv-users] What flavor of Linux are you using?

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 15:43:57 UTC 2009

On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 1:04 AM, Johnny Walker <johnnyjboss at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 21, 2009, at 9:13 PM, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 2:58 PM, aaron <memoryguy at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> ...it just finished compiling.
>>>

>> It takes less than 4 hours to compile the entire system (all 1000+
>> packages) on my 3GHz Intel Quad core2
>>
>> John

> Oh my word - is it worth it?
>
> I can install mythbuntu in 10 minutes.
>
> AMD Phenom II x3 2.8ghz Triplecore

(fixed top post)

For someone who wants a compiled distro rather than a binary one, sure
it is.  I've been using nothing but Gentoo since 2004 and love it.  I
have a bigger problem with the binary dependency issues that all
binary distros are stuck with than I'd ever have with compile times
and such.  I personally think Gentoo is especially good for dedicated
MythTV systems because it's easy to make a really lean install.  I've
set up Ubuntu for others and personally think it's the best binary
distro out there.  It all depends what you want.

That's why I've always felt that comparing Gentoo to any binary distro
doesn't make sense.

Tom