[mythtv-users] What flavor of Linux are you using?

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Sun Nov 22 10:16:04 UTC 2009

> On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 2:58 PM, aaron <memoryguy at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 13:43, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Gentoo. I started using mythtv and gentoo in 2004 and my database goes
>>> back to the first gentoo install. Everything is built from source so
>>
>> ...it just finished compiling.
>>

> It takes less than 4 hours to compile the entire system (all 1000+
> packages) on my 3GHz Intel Quad core2
>
> John

I've got to agree on Gentoo. My last box ran from 2003 until April of this
year with just regular updates. This box was a major update moving to 64
bits but even there I just did a base install and ran my old world file
into the emerge process to get back to where I was with the old box.

At work I use Ubuntu and at least half a dozen of the engineers who run
similar systems there will have upgrade problems every 6 months (or
whatever the release cycle is from Canonical). Simple bugs like not being
able to set a static IP address can be a real pain on a system that relies
on a GUI to such a large degree and doesn't have the excellent manuals and
howtos that Gentoo does.

YMMV :-)

--
Robin Gilks