[mythtv-users] Puzzled about HVR-2250 install

stefan_jones at comcast.net stefan_jones at comcast.net
Sat Nov 21 22:27:09 UTC 2009

----- "Matt Beadon" <matt.beadon at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]

Which part?

> Has anybody been through this? Does
> > > having a driver available mean compiling a kernel, or a kernel module?
>
> No, kernel changes required (assuming you don't mind compiling your own driver).
> I've been using the hvr-2250 since it first went "stable". There were some bad hangs initially but the driver has been really stable for months now. Since I went through a few versions before the driver got really solid I've built this driver a few times and it's pretty straightforward.
>
> Really quickly:
> 1) Download latest driver from http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb (choose the bz2 or gz link on the left) or the current one is: "wget http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb/archive/tip.tar.gz "
> 2) unpack it somewhere eg in /usr/src/v4l-dvb. "cd /usr/src/v4l-dvb; tar -xzvf tip.tar.gz"
> 3) build it. "cd v4l-dvb-XXXXXX; make" where XXXX is the latest version that was unpacked in #2.
> 4) become root and install the modules. "sudo make install"
>
> Two caveats to this:
> a) you must have all the build tools already installed (make, gcc, kernel headers, etc)
> b) there was a bug I hit in step #3 in a firedtv module. I didn't need firedtv so I commented it out of the makefile. I can send the file if anyone else needs it but I'm hoping the v4l maintainers have already fixed that bug.
>
> This card is well worth the trouble!

WOOT!

Got the drivers compiled, and it was recognized on reboot.

I'm scanning for channels on the second input now.

Now for posterity, for other Perl and Java feebs like me who didn't grow up with a pet gnu, here is what I had to install to get the compile to work:

gcc-4.4.2-7.fc12.i686 (includes headers)
kernel-PAE-devel.i686 (or kernel-devel.i686) (kernel source, but apparently not 100% but enough)
make.i686

Compile as well as install had to be done as root.

Next step is to get the IR blaster to work so I can use my old PVR-150 to record from my cable box. That's the only way I'll be able to suck in cable channels now that Comcast is scrambling. Can I finish in time for The Venture Brothers?

Thanks PAtrick and Matt