[mythtv-users] What flavor of Linux are you using?

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 23:00:46 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 1:43 PM, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 5:48 PM, Andy Hohenner <hohenner at comcast.net> wrote:
>> I'm in the process of building a new system for MythTV, and am using this as
>> a chance to practice and try something new, so installing from scratch (SVN)
>> and trying out versions of Linux I've not used before...
>> Just tried building with Fedora 11, but just found out they took out the
>> ability to automatically log in (atleast without making edits to conf files
>> that I don't completely understand), so considering trying another version.
>> What flavor of Linux is everyone running?
> Gentoo. I started using mythtv and gentoo in 2004 and my database goes
> back to the first gentoo install. Everything is built from source so
> svn or official packages are a bit of the same. At one point they were
> the exact same but now gentoo moved back to snapshot builds although
> some users have svn ebuilds.
> John

John:  I *think* the newer ebuildsm, though they're not fetching with
svn, actually fetch whatever rev is in the ebuild name.  I'm not an
expert on ebuilds, but I've noticed that the latest
/usr/portage/eclass/mythtv.eclass is doing this:

-> ${MY_PN}-${PV}.zip"

...which appears to be generating a zip file from trac on
svn.mythtv.org based on the file name.