[mythtv-users] Video noise or distortion across very top edge of image

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Fri Nov 20 16:59:04 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-11-20 at 10:49 -0600, Johnny Walker wrote:

> Channel 222 is CNN Headline News (love my Robin Meade). I am seeing
> some sort of video noise or distortion across what seems to be the
> very top pixel of my playback image. This happens in LiveTV and also
> on Recording.

Are you overscanning on playback or are you displaying every single
pixel of the captured picture inside your viewable area on the playback?

Hiding this sort of "edge distortion" is what overscan is for.

> I tried adjusting the Vertical offset in the Setup-->Playback menu. I
> moved it from 0 through 10 (trying each incrementally) and I wasn't
> able to notice any difference. It does seem that each time I invoke
> the LiveTv mode I may get a more or less dramatic experience of this
> noise.

Can you not make the video hardware do the overscanning?  I do this with
my 5200FX, admittedly in a pure analog output stream.  Maybe using VDPAU
restricts this video card driven overscanning?

I set up the overscanning on mine with nvidia-settings.  I basically
tuned it until what I was seeing coming from Myth matched exactly what I
saw watching native television.

b.