[mythtv-users] Puzzled about HVR-2250 install

Patrick Oglesby octoberblu3 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 15:48:01 UTC 2009

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 11:47 PM,  <stefan_jones at comcast.net> wrote:
> I'm working on getting a reinstalled mythbox running. Fedora 12 install went
> OK, but I still need to get nVIDIA graphics installed properly.
>
> My original capture cards -- a PVR-150 and a pcHDTV3000 -- seem to be
> working OK.
>
> But the real chore ahead seems to be getting my new Happaugue HVR-2250
> running. I was under the impression that support had gone from DIY to
> included.
>
> I used this:
>
>  /sbin/lspci -vnn
>
> And found that the board is recognized by the bus. I'm not sure what the
> next steps are. I followed some links to LinuxTV but there's a lot of
> missing context that's throwing me off. Has anybody been through this? Does
> having a driver available mean compiling a kernel, or a kernel module?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Stefan

Well, first you need drivers.  They appear to be included with the
linux kernel 2.6.32.  If you are using an earlier kernel, you will
need to download the drivers from the linuxtv.org.  The project page
for the driver is here: http://www.kernellabs.com/blog/?page_id=17

In addition to the drivers from either source, you will need firmware.
 Details on getting the firmware are also in the link above.

Keep in mind only digital tuning is supported currently (ATSC and
QAM).  Both tuners can work simultaneously and with multirec.  I have
had 4 recordings (2 on each) simultaneously with no problems on my
system.

Good luck,
Patrick