[mythtv-users] FC8 --> F12 Upgrade: MythTV doesn't work with LIRC anymore

Andrew Junev a-j at a-j.ru
Fri Nov 20 13:22:29 UTC 2009

> Hello John,

> Friday, November 20, 2009, 9:08:37 AM, you wrote:

>> On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 10:37 PM, Andrew Junev <a-j at a-j.ru> wrote:
>>> Ummm, I don't have 8th page in Setup:General. It ends on the 7th
>>> page with "Automatically run mythfilldatabase" settings.
>>> I couldn't find anything LIRC-related in "General" at all...

>> The setting for LIRC Daemon socket is on page 9 of Setup:General, when
>> running trunk.
>> I don't think that setting existed in 0.21, though.

>> You can also tell lircd where to create that file using --output:

>> lircd --device=/dev/lirc1 --output=/dev/lircd

> I'm already doing that:
> LIRCD_OPTIONS="--driver=atilibusb --output=/dev/lircd"

> And /dev/lircd is there and is accessible:
> # ls -l /dev/lircd
> srw-rw-rw- 1 root root 0 2009-11-20 08:26 /dev/lircd
> #

>> Pretty sure "old" place was /dev/lircd, so starting up lircd like that
>> might make it work for you.

> Unfortunately it does not... :-(
> What else might be causing the problem?

Hugh, it's not only mythfrontend that does not work with LIRC after
upgrade to F12! I just realised mplayer does exactly the same, with a
similar error message:

MPlayer SVN-r29800-4.4.2 (C) 2000-2009 MPlayer Team
mplayer: could not connect to socket
mplayer: No such file or directory
Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote control.

So it looks like only 'irw' is working with my LIRC. :-(
What do I do with it?!

I'm really out of ideas...

P.S. BTW, I sorted out the HDMI audio pass-through issue. I just
needed to unmute another S/PDIF output (somehow I got two of them in
alsamixer, probably one is on the back plane and another one is an
internal connector on the motherboard). Audio is working fine for me now!

Best regards,