[mythtv-users] Can Myth 'tune' these 'free' converter boxes?

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 06:24:41 UTC 2009

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 10:17 PM, scram69 <scram69 at gmail.com> wrote:
> The "free" converter boxes Mark describes do not have
> encryption/decryption capability.  The encryption you describe would
> imply that Mark, or any of the other many thousands of comcast
> subscribers who have received these cheap boxes would no longer have
> access to the content for which they are paying...

The boxes *do* have (weak) decryption capabilities.  The FCC granted
the cable companies waivers to the requirement for removable access
control (Cable/MCard) in the past couple of months, allowing them to
turn on this encryption.  This is what Comcast and others are
beginning to do, rendering ClearQAM much less useful, as indicated
above.

/me warned on the list about this several months ago and urged people
to write $PeopleOfImportance.

Robert