[mythtv-users] FC8 --> F12 Upgrade: MythTV doesn't work with LIRC anymore

Andrew Junev a-j at a-j.ru
Thu Nov 19 18:25:10 UTC 2009

Hi All,

I was successfully using Fedora Core 8 with MythTV 0.21 for a long time
now. With the recent release of 0.22, I started to plan a global
upgrade. I thought it would be good to upgrade Fedora on all of the
machines first and then to continue with MythTV 0.22 itself.

So I started with a frontend-only machine, upgrading it using a
'preupgrade' to FC12. It went more or less fine, with just a few minor
issues that I could solve myself. The machine is now up and running, I
only have two problems:

1. HDMI Audio pass-through from my 8600GT to a SONY TV does not work.
It was definitely working in FC8. I didn't analyze it yet, so it might
be just a misconfiguration in alsamixer, or it might be an 190.42
NVidia driver problem. I still have to check it out.

2. My mythfrontend doesn't work with LIRC anymore. And this is
weird! After upgrade to FC12 I recognized that lirc_atiusb module is
not shipped anymore. It took me some time to discover how to set up
and use 'atilibusb' instead. Now my LIRC seem to work fine, at least I
can see the keypresses in 'irw'. But my mythfrontend still refuses to
accept lirc commands. I'm still using an old MythTV 0.21:

# mythfrontend --version
Please include all output in bug reports.
MythTV Version   : 19114M
MythTV Branch    : branches/release-0-21-fixes
Library API      : 0.21.20080304-1
Network Protocol : 40

When mythfrontend starts, I see the following error:

mythtv: could not connect to socket
mythtv: No such file or directory
2009-11-19 18:43:20.089 lirc_init failed for mythtv, see preceding messages

Unfortunately, passing '-v all' to the mythfrontend does not provide
any additional information regarding lirc. So I don't know which file
my mythfrontend is trying to open...

I checked that /dev/lircd exists and is accessible by my mythtv user:
$ ls -l /dev/lircd
srw-rw-rw- 1 mythtv mythtv 0 2009-11-19 21:12 /dev/lircd

And my lircrc file still exists and is also accessible:
$ pwd
/home/mythtv/.mythtv
$ ls -l lircrc
-rw-r--r-- 1 mythtv mythtv 6181 2009-08-19 23:33 lircrc

So the problem is somewhere else. Could someone please advice what
else could be wrong between LIRC and MythTV?

--
Best regards,
 Andrew