[mythtv-users] hd-pvr playback plans - sanity check

James Orr james.orr7 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 15:01:44 UTC 2009

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 12:35 AM, Mike Schiller <mdschiller.mythtv at gmail.com
> wrote:

> I have an older frontend box that I would like to upgrade so that it
> could playback recordings from my HD-PVR. The processor is an Athlon
> 64 2800+ running at 1.8 GHz, and the motherboard has a PCIE x16 (it's
> not a PCIE 2 motherboard).
>
> From what I've read in a few threads, including this one
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/407875 , I think I
> should be able to get good HD playback of the recordings if I upgrade
> my video card to:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187034
>
> But, as my processor is pretty old, and rather underpowered, I'm
> looking for feedback from the community to see if anyone has had
> success with similar hardware.

I have an AMD Sempron 3000+ (also 1.8 GHz) on my frontend which I run with
VDPAU and this card ...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814139018

It works flawlessly on recordings from my HDHR, I don't have an HD-PVR so I
can't speak for that but I imagine it wouldn't be much different.