[mythtv-users] Mythfrontend idle cpu consumption help

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Nov 18 21:26:59 UTC 2009

On 11/18/2009 04:17 PM, jansenj wrote:
>> So I would think that "theme complexity", in terms of number of
>> widgets, would be a more accurate predictor of CPU utilization.
>> Unfortunately, I don't know how to evaluate the complexity of the
>> various screens of the various themes.
> EVERY theme I try settles to the same CPU usage no matter what screen I'm
> on.  I can be on the first menu screen, I can be in the watch recordings
> screen.  It doesn't matter, they all utilize 14% of my 1Ghz CPU eventually.
> Sometimes they start at less than 1%, sometimes more than 30% depending on
> the initial draw of the screen, but they all settle out to ~14% no matter
> what screen in ALL the themes.

Also, when using OpenGL painter, the nvidia-settings OpenGL (not video)
Sync to Vblank setting may have an effect.  Unfortunately, in testing,
it seems that the effect it has differs depending on system
configuration and/or driver version and/or ...  (Meaning some may need
it on and others may need it off.)  As a matter of fact, I'm relatively
certain that it is what's causing the 100% CPU load issue for some.

Mike