[mythtv-users] Move to new master backend

Gerald Brandt gbr at majentis.com
Wed Nov 18 19:38:04 UTC 2009

----- "Jim Stichnoth" <stichnot at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 11:10 AM, Mark J. Small <msmall at eastlink.ca> wrote:
> > I'm planning to move my current mythtv backend to a new box. What is the best
> > method? Do I simply back up the database, install myth on the new box, copy
> > the existing recordings and restore the database there?
>
> Basically correct, except you need to do something special if the
> hostname is changing.
> http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-23.html#ss23.14
>
> > Also, I currently have 3 disks for storage, set up as /mnt/store, /mnt/big,
> > and /mnt/huge. On the new box, I will only have 2 disks for now. Do I have to
> > recreate all 3 folders? Are the recordings tied to the file location in some
> > way, or just the file names.
>
> I assume you're saying you currently have recordings in a storage
> group consisting of 3 directories. The recordings in the DB are only
> tied to the file name. You can experiment by moving recordings from
> one directory to another and see that they still play back fine.
>
> Jim

Hi,

I just did such a move. The poster above, by mentioning hostname, means the hostname entered into mythtv-setup, and not necessarily the systems hostname. I, for example, always used the systems IP address instead of the hostname, so I didn't do anything special when I went to a new IP. However, myth uses the data in the hostname field for look ups in recordings, rather than going directly to any storage. It is this hostname that must stay the same, and resolve to the current (even different) IP address.

Gerald