[mythtv-users] System specifications review...

Patrick Doyle wpdster at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 11:50:11 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 10:43 PM, Johnny <jarpublic at gmail.com> wrote:
> If you don't care about xvid/divx, then just get the cheapest VDPAU
> card that can do Advanced 2x. You are not likely to see much
> difference visual as long as it is powerful enough to do the
> deinterlacer you want to use. If you ask me you are over analyzing
> this. Just try it out and make your own call.
Thanks for the information, and the advice.  I am guilty of over
analyzing technical issues.  Such is my nature.  But I've found that,
once I understand the nature of a problem, the solution is quite
obvious.  In this case, the "problem" I've been analyzing has been
somewhat nebulous... but ultimately boils down to "If I'm gonna build
a MythTV system, I'd really like to do it right on the first try."
But that opens up its own set of issues, specifically in the are of
defining what I mean by "right".  In my case, I've decided that it
means "best performance for the lowest power", which opens up its own
set of issues, ... :-)

I truly appreciate the time folks have spent answering my questions.
It is clear that you are all quite knowledgeable about these systems.
So I take advantage of that.

Thanks again.

--wpd