[mythtv-users] Putting the mythconverg_backup.pl in a cron job

Robin Hill myth at robinhill.me.uk
Tue Nov 17 14:02:17 UTC 2009

On Tue Nov 17, 2009 at 08:47:05AM -0500, Harry Devine wrote:

> On 11/17/2009 08:24 AM, Robin Hill wrote:
> > What users are you running things under? The cron.daily scripts will
> > run as root, so you may need to add an 'su' to the script to force it to
> > run under the correct user account.
> >
> > HTH,
> >      Robin
> >
> Well, I can run it from the command line as my normal user.  I'm using
> Ubuntu 9.10, and I know that the cron.daily stuff is running as root.
> Shouldn't that mean root can run the script fine?  If I add an su in it
> to my normal account, how do I do it so I'm not prompted for the
> password?  That defeats the purpose of if running in the background if I
> have to be there to enter the password every day.

The root user has a different home directory, so won't have the same
.mythtv directory.  You could add symlinks, but it's better to keep
things running under the user account.

su shouldn't prompt for a password when run by root - just do:
    su - mythuser -c "mythconverg_backup......"

The other option is to add it to cron.d instead - the format used for
crontab entries here allows for running under different accounts.

Cheers,
    Robin
--
     ___