[mythtv-users] Mythfrontend idle cpu consumption help

Robin Hill myth at robinhill.me.uk
Tue Nov 17 08:52:20 UTC 2009

On Tue Nov 17, 2009 at 08:12:18AM +0000, mythtvusers at markgarland.co.uk wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> Re: 15% CPU usage in idle mythfrontend.
> >This, I would say, is all just normal operation
> >I.e. you guys don't have an issue so much as have a "feature request." :)
>
> I really couldn't disagree more.  If an application server at work used 15%
> at idle it would be investigated.

The point is that this issue _has_ been investigated and the developers
are aware of what the issue is (checking every theme element several
times a second to see whether it needs to pulse).  It's not a bug, in
that the issue springs from a deliberate design decision (i.e. this is
the intended behaviour).

There's already a plan to only poll elements which are tagged as
pulsing, so we'll just have to wait and see when this gets implemented,
and whether it goes into 0.22 or waits for 0.23 (I suspect the latter).

Cheers,
    Robin
--
     ___