[mythtv-users] no DVD drive found?

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Tue Nov 17 05:39:50 UTC 2009

    > Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 22:21:03 -0700
    > From: Greg Woods <greg at gregandeva.net>

    > >  Are the hard drive and
    > > optical drive on the same or separate IDE buses?

    > Same.

Not to ask the obvious, but...  you're -sure- that the disk and the
DVD are jumpered so they're not trying to be the same device?  Or
maybe you're using cable select and it doesn't work right for one
of them?  This a 40- or 80-pin cable?

(Yes, yes, I know, presumably the BIOS wouldn't see it either, but
stranger things have happened---maybe they only step on each other
when accessed in ways the BIOS doesn't access use.)

Can you maybe put one of them on the other IDE bus (if your
motherboard has two), or try using a different IDE cable?
Maybe yours has a crucial conductor broken/shorted in some
way the BIOS doesn't notice but which confuses an OS.