[mythtv-users] Mythfrontend idle cpu consumption help

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Nov 16 22:06:48 UTC 2009

On 11/16/2009 04:51 PM, Mark Garland wrote:
> Sounds like you are now getting the same issue as us then.
>
> In idle menus,
> We have 15% on a 1Ghz cpu.
> You have 12% on a 1.2Ghz cpu.
> Which to me equates to the same thing.

This, I would say, is all just normal operation--Myth would benefit from
the design improvement that http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/7525 will
attempt to implement.  I.e. you guys don't have an issue so much as have
a "feature request."  :)

> However, you are using glibc, unlike us with eglibc.
> Sounds like this rules out eglibc...?

What I suspect may be a problem with eglibc is the 100% CPU usage caused
by mythfrontend (not some other runaway process :), which is especially
apparent with some themes.

Then again, it could well be kernel issues (such as the broken NFS
caching issue others have mentioned).

Basically, there are way too many people grouping many different
symptoms together as "Mythfrontend idle CPU consumption" issues.

Mike