[mythtv-users] System specifications review...

Mark Garland mythtvusers at markgarland.co.uk
Mon Nov 16 18:22:47 UTC 2009

Hi,

>if we change our habits such that the default screen is the
> menu screen and we never watch live TV through the Myth box, then the
> the idle power would (presumably) be much lower.

Well recommended.
Otherwise, all these CPU cycles or GPU cycles (VDPAU) would be wasted.  This
would also result in more heat, more cooling, more noise...
Also, myth records all the LiveTV you watch so that you can rewind back -
24x7 operation is a lot of wear on your drives - even at SD I can clock up a
gb or two per hour - that's 48gb/day for maybe nothing!

>I don't even know
> if I could tell the difference between 1x or 2x deinterlacing

2x = double framerate.  The deinterlacer (as I understand it - open for
correction) takes the (in my case - UK) 25fps and increases that to 50fps
resulting in a much smoother picture for TV's capable of displaying it.
Can't say I've seen them working in VDPAU, but the difference for me between
linear blend and Yadif(2x) was immense.

HTH,

MG