[mythtv-users] Recomendations for FE/BE case in the UK?
mythtvusers at markgarland.co.uk
Sun Nov 15 19:20:23 UTC 2009
I'm UK based, and I've recently purchased a Silverstone GD04:
So far, I've been pretty impressed.
- It has a nice finish. It's quite sleek and unassuming (no flashing
- the 3x120mm fans are filtered (so the case should dust-up less often) and
they do shift a fair amount of air allowing me to install the Silverstone
NT01-E passive cooler
my 5050e AMD CPU - again reducing noise and hopefully maintenance.
- the case takes a fair amount of storage (2x3.5 drives, or a combination of
laptop drives) and full size ATX bits (with a mATX motherboard), yet seems
to have a smaller footprint than others.
- the hard disk sits in/on rubber mounts - meaning that my WD Green drive is
now nearly inaudible.
- The fans aren't "silent". They're quiet, IMO, but not "silent". That
cooling does make some white noise. I'm sure you could get a regulator or
fan-mate to wind down the RPM, but that would hurt cooling.
- The switches on the front do look/feel a little cheap, and my first case
was returned as faulty because one of the switches was broken. Though, for
a htpc, you shouldn't be pressing them too often.
- It still looks very much like a computer. It's unassuming, and maybe
sleek, but definitely PC-looking. IMO, Antec does a better job with
something like the fusion which looks more like a piece of audio equipment.
- I would have liked an integrated IR receiver.
Hope that helps - happy to take further questions.
> -----Original Message-----
> From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org [mailto:mythtv-users-
> bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Robert Longbottom
> Sent: 15 November 2009 18:49
> To: Discussion about mythtv
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Recomendations for FE/BE case in the UK?
> Mike Dent wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I've had a myth system running for 2 years or more, this has been a
> > combined FE/BE in a large Antec case at the side of the TV.
> > Whilst it is not pretty it is quiet.
> > I would now like to build a new system, I want to run a combined FE/BE
> > again but I would like a smaller case, one that
> > the wife thinks is somewhat prettier! :)
> > I am in the UK and would welcome any recommendations you have for a
> > new build 0.22 system.
> > Thanks
> > Mike
> I like my Antec case. See,....
> mythtv-users mailing list
> mythtv-users at mythtv.org
More information about the mythtv-users