[mythtv-users] System specifications review...

David Segall david at segall.net
Sun Nov 15 14:41:02 UTC 2009

Patrick Doyle wrote:
> OK, I think I'm ready to pull the trigger.  Here is what I've decided
> upon for HW to build my ATSC MythTV Frontend/Backend TiVo replacement:
>
> Case:
> Antec 2480
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129034&Tpk=NSK%202480
> I picked this one because it was at the top of the list at
> silentpcreview.com, and it is roughly the size of my old TiVo (plus
> the converter box sitting on top of it).  I'm hoping that the black
> DVD rom panel will not look too out of place in the silver front panel
> of the 2480.  It might even be considered to be "stylish", but history
> has shown that I can be a pretty poor judge of what is considered to
> be "stylish".

I have an old Antec Fusion
<http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Volume_Knob_on_Antec_Fusion> and I think
something similar is worth the money. To me, it looks like a high tech
video component rather than a PC. The newer ones include an IR receiver
and remote as well as a VFD (or LCD) display. You don't need the latter
but I still enjoy it when I can see what my MythTV is dutifully
recording or how far through we are with this tedious program before I
can watch something I like.