[mythtv-users] System specifications review...

Robert Longbottom RobertCL at iname.com
Sun Nov 15 13:44:15 UTC 2009

Robert Longbottom wrote:
> Patrick Doyle wrote:
>> OK, I think I'm ready to pull the trigger.  Here is what I've decided
>> upon for HW to build my ATSC MythTV Frontend/Backend TiVo replacement:
>>
>> Case:
>> Antec 2480
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129034&Tpk=NSK%202480
>>
>> I picked this one because it was at the top of the list at
>> silentpcreview.com, and it is roughly the size of my old TiVo (plus
>> the converter box sitting on top of it).  I'm hoping that the black
>> DVD rom panel will not look too out of place in the silver front panel
>> of the 2480.  It might even be considered to be "stylish", but history
>> has shown that I can be a pretty poor judge of what is considered to
>> be "stylish".
>>
> I've had this case for a couple of years now and it's very nice.
> Those big fans make virtually no noise and come with a switched speed
> control - I've always just run mine on minimum.  The PSU fan is
> virtually silent as well.  Inside there is plenty of space for
> everything.  I've got a dvd drive and a single hard disk in there at
> the minute, with space for a second hard disk and a second dvd drive.
> The hard drive enclosure has some nice anti-vibration gromits to limit
> noise and the hard disk is it's own compartment to help with airflow,
> etc.  I keep this in an open-backed unit in my living room, and while
> it's not silent, it's quiet-enough.
Forgot to say, the only annoying thing is that the HDD led is one of
those super bright blue ones and since mine was in a glass fronted unit
it used to light up the living room when it was dark and the hard disk
was active - i.e. when watching a movie with the lights down.
Fortunatuely the front dismantled fairly easily and I stuck a small bit
of red cellophane in front of the LED so now it's not a problem :-)

Robert.