[mythtv-users] Generic IR blaster performance question

stefan_jones at comcast.net stefan_jones at comcast.net
Sun Nov 15 07:06:18 UTC 2009

Comcast recently started scrambling popular stations like Syfy, Cartoon Network, and TNT. I imagine most of the other not-public-access-or-home-shopping stations will soon follow suit.

In addition to force me to use a STB / DCT to watch live TV, this means no more E-Z record-from-clear-QAM solution I love so much.

So! I'm getting a new card with an IR blaster. I've never had to deal with this before.

I have some general questions.

One, are they reliable? How often do recordings end up of the wrong program because the STB didn't switch?

Second, what sort of timing is involved? Does Myth start the channel switch a little early?

(Scenario: If I'm recording Leverage from 9:00 pm to 10:00 pm on TNT and Mad Men on AMC from 10:00 pm to 11:00 pm, will I get a conflict? )