[mythtv-users] desktop environment efficiencies.

Richard Morton richard.e.morton at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 20:33:23 UTC 2009

2009/11/12 Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>

> It might be RAM-efficient, but it would likely be far less CPU-efficient.
>  TTBOMK, xfce is a relatively lightweight desktop environment; whereas KDE
> is a heavyweight.
>
> What would be most efficient, however, would be to use something other than
> a desktop environment--some lightweight window manager like Fluxbox or, even
> better, RatPoison.  RatPoison has about a 300kiB incremental RAM cost.
>  Fluxbox is around 1MiB.
>
> Mike

Thanks for this Mike; I have been reading this thread intently. I agree the
devs need a reasonable baseline and if they say there is a requirement for a
window manager for the system to get any sort of assistance... so be it and
as you say 300kb is not exactly a hardship.

I would be interested in a distribution that on boot defaulted to starting
no desktop environment and starting myth-frontend unless an option was
pressed (in which case it would start the desktop environment), or it was
started from within Myth. Having a whole desktop environment running seems a
little wasteful - I guess it just isn't a priority for many... anyway it not
that it is a huge problem; just startup would look prettier and more
appliance like.

I am sure this would introduce other issues though; such as administering
the system from an environment that is different from the one that
mythfrontend normally runs - but I am hypothesising as I dont know the
architecture.