[mythtv-users] Issue with HD-PVR recording

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Sat Nov 14 01:55:03 UTC 2009

Ron Garrison wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 1:58 PM, Harry Devine <lifter89 at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> OK, so I got my HD-PVR setup and made a test recording overnight to make
>> sure it'll work.  I just tried to play it back and I get "Please wait" for a
>> few seconds, then it goes back to the menu with a box that says "Video frame
>> buffering failed too many times".  The frontend log has a lot of messages
>> that say "NVP (0), Error Prebuffer wait timed out 120 times".  Any ideas on
>> what I need to do?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Harry
>>

> What audio are you using?   Did you try to cat to a file and play it
> back with something like mplayer?  Did you even record anything (i.e.
> what's the file size)?
>
> Your errors sound similar to what I saw when I first started setting
> up my hd-pvr and had inadvertently hooked up the sp/dif out instead of
> in.  If you don't have sp/dif in but  have setup mythtv to expect
> sp/dif in, it will not work.
>
> Ron

I just have my sound output from the normal 1/8" output jack going into
my stereo (1/8" on 1 end and red/white RCAs on the other).  I have my
cable box set to output 720p.  I recorded 1 channel yesterday and it
played back fine.  That channel was an SD channel and this one is HD if
that matters.  I tried this test on this HD channel because a few of the
shows I record are on it and its the main reason why I got the HD-PVR.

I didn't do anything with my playback profiles when I upgraded from
0.21.  I think mine is set on Slim right now. Do I have to change any of
those?

Thanks,
Harry