[mythtv-users] desktop environment efficiencies.

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Fri Nov 13 21:17:42 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-11-13 at 16:06 -0500, Michael T. Dean wrote:

> All the parts that use more than one window.

Which are which parts, exactly?  I don't recall ever seeing more than
one window in anything I have used -- which you are going to say is why
I never have a problem not using a WM.  But still, given that I use a
pretty decent share of the myth suite and I have never seen more than
one window, I am very curious as to where more than one window is used.
Please do tell.

> Whether you notice a failure, though, is dependent on too many
> factors--such as the window sizes, the window and mouse/pointer

No mouse/pointers here.  This is a STB.  This my caveat of course.  I am
only reporting the lack of need for a WM with a single-purpose display,
a.k.a. STB use-case.

> positions at the time when the new window appears or when the additional
> window disappears,

Yeah, it's these other "mysterious" windows I am wondering about.  Which
myth apps exactly, use more than one window?

> This is why you can not say,
> "It works."

But I can say it.  It has been working for what must be 5 years or more.

AFAIC, practical experience here, outweighs vague warnings and "furious
hand waving".

> Again, though, let's just leave it at, "If you choose to run without a
> Window Manager, do not report any bugs relating to focus issues or loss
> of keyboard/remote control."

Sure.

> And, so that you don't inflict your pain

I have no pain (with regard to windows needing management with a WM),
thanx.

> upon others, it's nice not to recommend that they run without a Window
> Manager.

I don't think I ever "recommended" it.  I merely shared my long-term
experience with it.  I am not going to stop sharing my experience as I
hope nobody else does either.  What's the point of the ML if we all stop
sharing our experiences?

b.