[mythtv-users] vdpau worth it for hdtv?

Andre Newman mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Fri Nov 13 19:26:37 UTC 2009

On 13 Nov 2009, at 19:04, JEDIDIAH wrote:

>    A lower end low profile ION system can be had for only $200.
>
>    It's hard to see how it could not possibly be worth it.
>
>    It's one of those rare occurences where "cheap" and "good" come together

I'd say cheap and fairly good, all those posts saying "it's nearly as good as my TV live" could be "it's better than my TV live".
For SD it looks great, I'm seeing glitches here and there even with SD on my friend's ION system but I understand the vdpau code is getting a major re-work for 0.23 and Nvidia seem to make improvements all the time, the odd small disaster but mostly good progress.

It seems spoilt for a ha'peth of tar that it can't do Advanced 2x for 1080i50 or i60 (the most common HDTV standard in the world), advanced 2x seems to be the de-interlacer that's as good as a decent flat screen or video processor.

Of course if the worlds broadcasters would drag themselves into the 21st century and ditch interlacing, things like mythTV would be so much easier and nicer :-)

> in one device. It's like an AppleTV or Mac Mini without the hassle and or
> expense.

It's certainly that, especially with minimyth net booting, very neat solution.

Andre