[mythtv-users] Low power FE/BE CPU

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 18:16:34 UTC 2009

> Also, I see that it is a socket AM3 processor.  I couldn't find any
> socket AM3 motherboards with an nVidea GPU.  Do you know if they
> exist?  Should I look for a GPU-less motherboard and buy a separate
> video card?  I figured the fewer cards I put in the chassis, the
> better.  But my intuition and conventional wisdom don't always align.

I would just get a discrete card. On AMD the best you will get is an
8300 integrated. On Intel you can find a 9400 but they are few and far
between. Either way they are both underpowered to take full advantage
of VDPAU with the best deinterlacers. So you are better off going with
a discrete card in terms of quality and capabilities of you playback.