[mythtv-users] LCD and traditional CRT TVs, overscan and UI size and widget placement

Terjesen Jens Peder Jens.Peder.Terjesen at devoteam.com
Thu Nov 12 15:01:14 UTC 2009

Brian J. Murrell wrote:

On Thu, 2009-11-12 at 11:46 +0100, Terjesen Jens Peder wrote:

> I think perhaps you should have a look at the TVs menus again.

I've already been through them a zillion times, toggling everything
that's available.

> According to this site: http://www.toshiba.ca/web/product.grp?lg=en&section=2&group=521&product=8013
> the TV has Native Mode (HDMI), look at the Features tab.
> And according to this site: http://www.toshiba.ca/web/product.grp?lg=en&section=2&group=521&product=8751&category=
> this means no overscan, again look at the Features tab.
> So unless Toshiba has decided to use the term Native Mode for different things on different models then you should be able to turn off overscan.

What can I tell you?  The term "Native Mode" doesn't even exist in the
menus, anywhere, on any input.

b.

I found an online manual for this TV here: http://support.toshiba.ca/support/ceg/manuals/

And on page 16 I found this:
Note:
• The edges of the images may be hidden.
• If receiving a 720p, 1080i, or 1080p signal program, Native
mode scales the video to display the entire picture within the
borders of the screen (i.e. no overscanning).

So this seems to only work on these resolutions and not on the TVs native resolution.
A bit misleading then I would say.

JPT