[mythtv-users] LCD and traditional CRT TVs, overscan and UI size and widget placement

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Thu Nov 12 04:24:15 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-11-12 at 16:55 +1300, tortise at paradise.net.nz wrote:

> Sorry Brian I am not getting this.  If you adjust overscan correctly using NVIDIA settings for the Desktop UI,

What do you mean "Desktop UI"?  Do you mean like a gnome (or other
"productivity environment"), etc?  The machine I run myth on that
displays to a CRT is dedicated to being a myth frontend and tuned for
that function.  There is no deskotp.  There is only X and the myth UI
window on top of it.

As such, I have tuned the overscan with nvidia settings so that when I
am watching myth, I see the exact same visible area as I would see with
regular TV.  This is unlike of course watching that same channel in a
window on a desktop as that mode includes the area around the picture
that would normally be hidden by overscan.

> then mythtv should
> just scale / work using default settings.

No.  It doesn't because the design of the UI on the myth window has
never accounted for overscan.  I tend to think it's been designed in a
window on a desktop computer where the edge of the "canvas" is visible,
unlike when it's shown on a device that has overscan.

> If you are using a non standard UI setting, I'd set the UI right first, and then
> re-adjust mythtv to the size you want.  The other way around I'd expect to give grief.

My UI is the same size as my screen, aka "full-screen", which is
640x480.  The problem is that with overscan, the 20-30 pixels around the
edges of that 640x480 are not visible with an overscan display.

b.