[mythtv-users] ION "LE" suitable for VDPAU ?

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 02:16:55 UTC 2009

Hi

2009/11/12 Christopher Kerr <mythtv at theseekerr.com>:
> Both the Atom 230 and Atom 330 processors are 64 bit capable, so there's no
> (realistic) architectural limit on how much RAM can be utilised.
>
> I've heard some rumours that the Ion chipset is limited to 8GB of RAM, but
> I've seen nothing concrete to back that up. With only two DIMM slots, you'd
> be hard pressed to install more than 4GB anyway (unless you use 4GB sticks
> like these, but they're rather rare).

How much RAM can be used isn't only related to how many bits the
processor can use.

The chipset is also important.

Earlier Intel 915 couldn't handle more than 4GB even with 64bits processor.

Macbook and Macbook pro despite using nvidia 9400M chipset (same as
ION) couldn't use more than 6GB until the newer revision was
introduced in June.

> Upshot is, you should be able to use as much RAM as you can fit in the
> slots.

not always...