[mythtv-users] Error when changing Mythtv's mysql database from utf8 to latin1 on Gentoo

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Nov 11 21:52:02 UTC 2009

On 11/11/2009 04:45 PM, David Liana wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 3:16 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> On 11/11/2009 11:38 AM, Steve Evans wrote:
>>> I am using Mythtv 0.21 on Gentoo. Gentoo sets up mysql to use utf8,
>>> but Mythtv prefers it to use latin1. This will cause problems when
>>> Mythtv is upgraded to 0.22. There are instructions on how to fix this at:
>>> http://wiki.mythtv.org/wiki/Fixing_Corrupt_Database_Encoding
>>> I followed these instructions, but got this error when restoring the fixed
>>> backup:
>>> ERROR 1062 (23000) at line 1712: Duplicate entry 'Kathleen ├├┤Dixie├├Â
>>> Dixon*Jane Hazlegr' for key 2
>> That means you have partial corruption.
>> Fortunately it was possible to restore the original, unfixed, backup,
>>> so I have a working mythtv :-)
>>> Does anyone have any idea how to fix the database /without/ getting this
>>> error?
>> You need to follow the instructions at:
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/406111#406111
> I followed the directions on the posted thread on my end... Started with a
> clean v0.21-fixes DB in latin1 charset, upgraded to v0.22, ran the setup...
> Will the resulting v0.22 database be utf8?

Yes.  It will go through the normal DB upgrade the first time you run

Once you reconfigure, it will be exactly the same as the database /and/
data you would have had if your 0.21-fixes DB schema weren't
corrupt--except maybe a bit cleaner (as it will get rid of some old
garbage you may have had for old hosts you may have run.