[mythtv-users] MythTV, Fedora 11, RPMfusion

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Wed Nov 11 19:08:34 UTC 2009

On Nov 11, 2009, at 1:57 PM, stan wrote:

> The latest Fedora 11 update to the kernel and ffmpeg finally got the
> display
> working on my Intel DG45FC mobo onboard graphics and Hauppauge HVR
> 950Q USB
> tuner.  (Well, at least for a five minute review of a recorded HD OTA
> program.)
> So now I'm interesting in trying the new mythtv .22.  I plan to
> completely
> reinstall the system and get the new mythTV.
> So I figure I may as well see if there are answers to a few question
> I've
> always left hanging..
> 1.  Is mythTV .22 on RPMfusion?

> 2.  When you install mythTV from RPMfusion with gnome's add/remove
> programs
> should you first create a mythtv user?  I've installed without
> creating the
> mythtv user and found the install creates mythtv but I can't log
> into it.

Don't need to. The user the package creates isn't intended as a login
user, its a file ownership user, and someday, when possible, a "run
the backend as this user" user[*].

> 3.  Is the mySQL database initialized by the mythTV RPMfusion
> install?  I've
> been running the script to do this, but I've read messages implying
> the
> script is no longer necessary.

The rpm's themselves do nothing to initialize the database.

> 4.  Does Fedora's "check for updates" function include packages (like
> mythTV) installed from RPMfusion?

If you have the RPM Fusion yum repos enabed, yes.

> 5.  Does mythfilldatabase do anything when all program guide sources
> are
> obtained from ATSC over-the-air information?

> BTW, the RPMfusion and "add/remove program" stuff sure makes mythTV
> easy to
> install.

That would be PackageKit, a distribution and packaging system agnostic
add/remove program, developed primarily by Richard Hughes (who does
happen to be a Red Hat employee, working on it for Fedora though).

[*] Currently, various capture devices won't be usable by non-root
users at system boot time, so the backend has to be run as root, or
you have to add some hacky chown'ing to the initscript or similar

Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com