[mythtv-users] Error when changing Mythtv's mysql database from utf8 to latin1 on Gentoo

David Liana dliana.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 17:07:29 UTC 2009

I am a Gentoo user...  Here is my understanding of what needs to be done (or
better yet, what I did).  I could completely be out in left field, so if
anyone wants to correct me, I can at least restore from a backup.

   1. I had the latin1 use flag set for as long as I remember, so it is my
   understanding that I would not be, or at worst minimally affected.  I
   2. I would dump the full database using the mysqldump command[1]
   3. Using the mysqldump comand, pullout the important tables (like
   recorded, recordeddata, etc.).  I think the syntax for this is on the wiki.
   I like to set up my hardware and other settings from scratch when I
   4. Drop mythconverg.
   5. Make a backup of /etc/mysql/my.conf, and replace utf8 with latin1 in
   my.cnf.  I did not have to do this since everything was latin1.
   6. Re-create mythconverg with a charset of latin1.
   7. Run mythtv-setup from 0.21, but do not set anything up and exit.
   8. Restore you're backup from step 2 or 3, depending on your
   preferences.  I restored from step 2.
   9. Upgrade mythtv, mythtv-themes and your plugins to v0.22.
   10. Run mythtv-setup and tweak your settings.  It looks like this
   upgrades your db to utf8.  (I'm assuming this is okay)

[1] http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Backup_your_database#The_mysqldump_command

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 11:38 AM, Steve Evans <mythtv-users at gorbag.com>wrote:

> Hello,
> I am using Mythtv 0.21 on Gentoo. Gentoo sets up mysql to use utf8,
> but Mythtv prefers it to use latin1. This will cause problems when
> Mythtv is upgraded to 0.22. There are instructions on how to fix this at:
> http://wiki.mythtv.org/wiki/Fixing_Corrupt_Database_Encoding
> I followed these instructions, but got this error when restoring the fixed
> backup:
> ERROR 1062 (23000) at line 1712: Duplicate entry 'Kathleen ├├┤Dixie├├Â
> Dixon*Jane Hazlegr' for key 2
> Fortunately it was possible to restore the original, unfixed, backup,
> so I have a working mythtv :-)
> Does anyone have any idea how to fix the database /without/ getting this
> error?
> Steve
> --
> ____________________________________________________________________
> Steve Evans            E-mail: mailto:stevee at gorbag.com
>                       WEB:    http://www.gorbag.com
> Registered Linux user #217906: http://counter.li.org
> Public Encryption Key:         http://www.gorbag.com/public-key.html
> ____________________________________________________________________
> Now playing: 'Everything's Gone Green' by 'New Order' from the album
> 'Factory
> Records - Communications 1978-92 - CD2 1981 to 1984'
> 2.6.30-gentoo-r7 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz GNU/Linux
>  11:56:33 up 16 days, 20:51,  7 users,  load average: 1.92, 0.92, 0.37
> From the cradle to the coffin underwear comes first.
>                -- Bertolt Brecht
> _______________________________________________
> mythtv-users mailing list
> mythtv-users at mythtv.org
> http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/attachments/20091111/db6e2d8e/attachment.htm>

More information about the mythtv-users mailing list