[mythtv-users] How to avoid upgrade headaches

Tom Lichti redpepperracing at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 16:56:01 UTC 2009

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 11:50 AM, Steve Peters - Priority Electronics
<steve at priorityelectronics.com> wrote:

>> I don't really have an answer for you, but I am curious what was
>> required by MythTV that you needed to upgrade base Ubuntu? My backend
>> is running Fedora Core 8 with current SVN manually compiled, and I
>> have not had any issues that have required an OS upgrade. Obviously I
>> haven't needed to upgrade the OS, since it is a few years old already,
>> and almost 4 versions behind current. My frontends run FC10 quite
>> happily. I was a big Ubuntu fan, but I've found that for MythTV,
>> Fedora (at least for my setup) seems to just 'work', whereas Ubuntu
>> always gave me problems. Again, only my experience, I know lots of
>> people use Ubuntu for MythTV without any issues.
>>
>> Tom
>>

> Well, the 0.22 version was not in the repository for Ubuntu 8.10 which is
> what I used. So I had to upgrade to 9.04, and then to 9.10 in order to get
> the new version.

I thought of that after sending the message.

> I suppose I could build it myself, but then I'd have to build a lot of the
> dependencies that myth needs that are probably not included in anything
> before 9.10. I'm hoping to not have to build mythtv from source if possible
> just to make sure I get all the dependency stuff right. Also, I've learned
> not to put an new ubuntu repository into an old version of ubuntu...that
> really messes things up.

I haven't had to build any dependencies with Fedora, everything that I
need is in (dev) packages, all I need to compile is MythTV itself. I
can't imagine Ubuntu would be any different in that regard.

The water is fine, come on in... :)

Tom