[mythtv-users] Disable Automatic Database Backup

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Nov 11 01:30:10 UTC 2009

On 11/10/2009 03:10 PM, Mark Garland wrote:
> I'm just installing MythTV 0.22 on a new box having been so pleased with
> 0.21.
>
> In mythtv-setup, General, Miscellaneous Settings, there is an option called
> "Disable Automatic Database Backup".  I've done some thorough searching and
> can't seem to find any docs on how this Automatic Database Backup works.

Yeah, there aren't really any.  The only "Automatic" backup we have at
this point is the pre-DB-schema upgrade backup.  Therefore, a user who
upgrades from 0.21-fixes to 0.22-fixes will get a DB backup right before
the upgrade(s) (before the TV schema upgrade by mythtv-setup/mythbackend
and before the MythVideo and MythMusic schema upgrades done by
mythfrontend) and will never get any more automatic backups.  The
setting you've found is to disable the pre-upgrade backup (and, IMHO,
disabling those is not a good idea--in spite of what the people who
complained about those pre-upgrade backups might think).

Some (most?) distros, however, include automatic backups or you can
always use http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore .

> I've left this unchecked as I am hoping that it means that 0.22 will somehow
> take regular backups to my new "DB Backups" storage group.

Sorry, I haven't gotten that far, yet.  We need a /lot/ more
infrastructure to prevent automatic backups from corrupting the DB or
recordings.  It's on my TODO--just might be below a much bigger job that
will actually make the auto-backups /much/ easier.  :)

Mike