[mythtv-users] ION "LE" suitable for VDPAU ?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Nov 10 15:45:37 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 10 November 2009 08:30:13 Johnny wrote:
> > Looking at ION platforms, I see an Acer AR1600-U910H for $199, which says
> > it has an "ION-LE" graphics system.
> >
> > Will the "LE" work for VDPAU? A similar system with "ION" (no "LE")
> > graphics goes for $130 more, which makes me suspicious.
> >
> > Often "LE" means "limited edition", or "doesn't do as much".
> >
> > Anyone have experience with the "ION LE" ?
> >
> > I've read that nVidia graphics chips are in short supply, and I see a lot
> > of backorders on some nVidia gear.
>
> It is the same chipset they just disabled DirectX 10 support:
> http://www.liliputing.com/2009/09/the-difference-between-nvidia-ion-and-ion
>-le-not-much.html. I read somewhere else that they probably just did this to
> accommodate OEMs that want to get cheaper licenses from Microsoft by using
> system that is limited to DX9. Microsoft license fees to OEMs are
> based on their predefined market segments. So a DX9 low powered
> netbook gets a cheaper license than an higher system with a faster
> processor and DX10 graphics.

That probably explains why the LE system comes with Windows, and the non-LE
system does not, even though it costs more. I have no interest in XP or any
other Windows OS, so I may just give that LE system a go and see what
happens.

It's really sad that MS's attempts to increase their profits wind up costing
me time and money. Price should reflect cost, not "what we think we can get".

I've lost count of how many Windows licenses I have involuntarily purchased
and never used, it's really depressing.

Thanks for the info.

--
Brian Wood