[mythtv-users] BBC Freeview HD DRM

Ben Lancaster mail at benlancaster.co.uk
Tue Nov 10 12:59:02 UTC 2009

> "Ofcom has told the BBC it will not allow the broadcaster to mandate
> DRM on HD, at least not yet, following overwhelming response to its
> two-week consultation."
Really good news, but I'm not sure it'd have been that much of a big
deal for us as the MythTV community - the BBC quite vehemently denied
that it was proposing encrypting content, just "managing" distribution/
copying instead [source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2009/09/freeview_hd_copy_protection_up.html]
. I doubt this would have affected our ability to receive and playback
the DVB-T2 stream (when it and the necessary hardware finally arrive).

Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of DRM, but I can appreciate that the
BBC's commercial arm (BBC Worldwide) needs to protect the part of its
business that sells content on physical formats. What OfCom have done
is definitely the right thing, and maybe the upshot for the BBC is
that they'll create more worthwhile, affordable content in high-
definition on physical media.