[mythtv-users] New frontend... Atom?

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Mon Nov 9 19:37:07 UTC 2009

Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca> says:
> It's not when you can't buy video cards for the hardware you already
> have (PCI/AGP).  And then you can't buy a motherboard that will work
> with the existing CPU you have to get the PCI-E, so you have to buy
> a new motherboard and new CPU and that memory you have won't work
> with the new motherboard either, so by the time you are done just
> trying to get a VDPAU video card, you've bought a whole new
> computer.  Again.

In your case, yes, you probably should have bought a new
computer--probably an inexpensive Atom-based frontend--and kept the
existing one as a backend or second frontend or something.

[...]

> /me hates the computer hardware game, with their continuous,
> built-in obsolescence games.

No computer lasts forever.

In my case, though, upgrading to VDPAU has meant that my now four
years-old Pentium 4 3.0GHz frontend/backend will be able to play
state-of-the-art h.264 HD-PVR recordings.

--
Frontend/backend:	P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array