[mythtv-users] Successful upgrades

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Mon Nov 9 19:04:59 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-11-09 at 18:58 +0000, Richard Morton wrote:
> Hi There,

Hi,

> I am looking for reports of successful upgrades from Mythbunutu 9.04
> to Mythbuntu 9.10.

Unfortunately I cannot help you there.  My upgrade failed for
yet-to-be-determined database scheme update failures.  There have been
other reports of the same.

> I am looking to upgrade

Who wouldn't be.  Who wants to start with a fresh install only to have
to reconfigure everything that you've fine tuned for the last 5 years
and having to start from scratch and no history of what you've watched
and so on -- at least not without doing backup and partial restores and
whatnot screwing around with the database.

> Unfortunately I dont have enough equipment to build a dev box - I am
> however considering installing a fresh OS HD.

With some planning, like using LVM, you can do snapshots and be able to
instantly get back to where you were before the upgrade by simply
booting off of the snapshot.  That's what I do and soooo glad I do.

b.