[mythtv-users] New frontend... Atom?

Nicolas Will nico at youplala.net
Mon Nov 9 08:08:59 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-11-08 at 18:05 -0500, Ray Lischner wrote:
> On Sunday 08 November 2009 01:20 pm, Andrew Herron wrote:
>
> > You will never match the SD picture quality from your Intel GPU I'm
> > afraid and no hope whatsoever in HD at all.
>
> The only significant problem I have with the Intel GPU is some
> tearing.

I had the same problem with my Intel stuff. And that is a big deal
breaker.

I moved to a NVIDIA 7300LE for this reason. The tearing stopped.

>  The
> software deinterlacing and scaling are excellent for SD and HS
> (ATSC).

Still they look ugly once you have tasted VDPAU. I really felt like I
had a brand new TV.

> Watching a DVD in MythTV or on my Oppo BDP-83 is nearly identical in
> image
> quality (except for the tearing). I haven't seen VDPAU in action, but
> I can't
> imagine how it could improve on the Oppo.

Hmmm... try it!

> I use a Core 2 Duo E7200 and 965G. The CPU does all the work, but
> rarely goes
> over 30% for ATSC 720p and 1080i.

That is more or less what I had, and this was not my experience at all,
either with the built-in Intel or the discrete NVIDIA (non-VDPAU).

>  With a good cooler, a good case, and
> careful build, I was able to get an inexpensive, quiet frontend.

Add a cheap NVIDIA and get better video on top of that. I did, and I
absolutely do not regret it.

Nico
http://www.youplala.net/linux/home-theater-pc/