[mythtv-users] New frontend... Atom?

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at ntlworld.com
Sun Nov 8 12:48:36 UTC 2009

On Sunday 08 Nov 2009 11:44:26 Andrew Herron wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 11:36 AM, Steve Hill <steve at nexusuk.org> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 8 Nov 2009, Richard Morton wrote:
> >
> >  In brief, yes; but make sure you buy a board with VDPAU supported
> >> chipset like the Zotac boards otherwise the small Atom chips wont cope
> >> with HD.
> >>

> > Hmm, ok.  That means getting an nVidia chipset though, and I swore off
> > nVidia many years ago after getting bitten too many times by their crappy
> > drivers and lack of giving a damn about my bug reports... :(
> >
> > I'm tempted to err towards a Core 2 based mini-ITX system, just for the
> > safety of knowing I have enough CPU grunt without relying on crazy-ass
> > proprietary drivers.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >

> > --
> >
> >  - Steve
> >   xmpp:steve at nexusuk.org <xmpp%3Asteve at nexusuk.org>
> > sip:steve at nexusuk.org <sip%3Asteve at nexusuk.org>   http://www.nexusuk.org/
> >

> Well the Atom/Ion combo is a fantastic combination - low energy usage,
> virtually silent in operation, compact and it with VDPAU enabled the
> de-interlacer, picture quality is truly impressive. My family cannot tell
> the HD picture quality from a Freesat HD box...and thats impressive in my
> book :-)
>
> The nVidia 185.xx drivers are very reliable in my experience and you really
> will be missing out if you dont use an nVidia based GPU.
>
> Andrew

I agree. Freeview recordings from my mythtv box look significantly better than live Freeview through my TV. I think NVIDIA had issues a while ago but their drivers now are very impressive. These days my first requirement for a Linux box is that it has Nvidia graphics, and VDPAU has reinforced that for me.

Yes, so they're proprietary.. so what? They work, and they work well.

Mark