[mythtv-users] New frontend... Atom?

Greg Cope gregcope at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 11:35:10 UTC 2009

2009/11/8 Richard Morton <richard.e.morton at gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>> The Intel Atom processors look interesting, but I've not been able to find much in the way
>> of performance specs.  Does anyone know if any of the Atoms are remotely capable of
>> playing HD H.264 AVC?
>
> In brief, yes; but make sure you buy a board with VDPAU supported
> chipset like the Zotac boards otherwise the small Atom chips wont cope
> with HD.
>
> Try searching gossamer threads as it has been covered quite a few times.

I've yet to get mine to play HD; but my Revo R3600 (dual core 330
Atom+Ion+1gb+160Gb drive is around £160 delivered in the UK(linux
version)) is nice and cheap.  No DVD Drive, but has ESATA which works
ok and they are pretty cheap.

Quite (you can only hear the fan when you have you ear next to it),
low power; What is not to like?

I brought it on the assumption that with Nvidia ION it _should_ do HD.

Greg