[mythtv-users] MySQL server has gone away

Dan Wilga mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu
Fri Nov 6 19:17:15 UTC 2009

At 8:39 AM -0800 11/6/09, Yeechang Lee wrote:
>Dan Wilga <mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu> says:
>>  IMHO, a value of 600 (10 minutes) should be plenty. And on a system
>>  where you generally only have a few clients at most, that value
>>  should not result in too many zombie connections.
>
>Just checked my my.cnf and it was set to 93600 (!); same with
>interactive_timeout. Should I lower one, or both?

Don't bother, unless you're using lots of applications which use
MySQL and don't disconnect properly--which is unlikely.

These timeouts are there to keep clients that crash or otherwise fail
to close their connections from consuming MySQL's resources by
keeping the "slot" open. You'd probably have to make an application
crash a dozen times in a row during that period before you would even
notice a slight difference in speed.

If you make this value too low, you can run into situations where the
client retrieves some data, takes a long time to process it, and then
tries to fetch the next bit of data but can't because its connection
has been dropped.