[mythtv-users] Can Myth TV record direct from DVB-T/DVB-T2

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at ntlworld.com
Thu Nov 5 20:42:34 UTC 2009

On Thursday 05 Nov 2009 02:15:34 Richard Evans wrote:
> I hope this is a silly question.
>
> I'm only at the stage of considering whether to build something using
> Myth TV. I'm considering building a PVR, to record exclusively digital
> TV transmission. Here in the UK digital TV used DVB-T, and soon some
> DVB-T2 transmissions will be introduced, initially for HDTV. MythTv
> looks like a good option, however the documentation only seems to talk
> about using Analogue TV capture cards. I can't find anything about
> recording digital TV.
>
> Would I be correct in assuming that I could use some sort of DVB-T tuner
> card, or even a DVB-T2, instead of analogue capture cards. This should
> allow it to receive and record digital TV without any need to actually
> encode any video, as the digital TV transmission are obviously already
> encoded.

Yes I do exactly that, in the UK. I use two Hauppauge Nova-T USB2 tuners which are fully supported in Linux. No special configuration necessary.

I'm not aware of any current DVB-2 tuners but I'm sure that as soon as they become available, one of the many clever people out there will get to work writing drivers.

Mark