[mythtv-users] [RFC] Proposed settings rework

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 19:03:54 UTC 2009

>> I've often though that commercial skip should be a per-channel flag,
>> not to complicate things or anything!
>
> There is some setting to tell the system whether or not a channel has
> commercials or not, would that do what you want?

It seems to me that the whole idea of playback groups would be to
handle stuff like this. However, the current playback groups
implementation was only given a minimum set of options. This leads to
a lot of confusion as demonstrated by the fact the there have been 2
separate posts in the last two days about how to change the skip/jump
times. These and one or two other settings are in playback groups.
This is confusing because all of the other related settings like ffwd,
commercial skip, etc are in the regular playback settings. So it just
isn't intuitive why a few settings would be exclusively in a playback
group while others are in the regular playback settings.

It would be much more user friendly and intuitive if all of the
playback settings were put in a default playback group, so the
settings are all together in a logical organization. Then I could add
additional playback groups where I could change any of the playback
settings I want (aspect ratio, fill, time stretch, commercial
skipping, playback profile, etc). There is already functionality to
assign a playback group in my recording rules. So in the default case
the user wouldn't even need to be aware of or look at playback groups,
but others who want special settings for given recordings would have
that available. All of this is already mostly implemented it just
needs to go all the way.