[mythtv-users] [RFC] Proposed settings rework

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Nov 4 20:06:32 UTC 2009

On 11/04/2009 02:41 PM, Fred Squires wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 1:49 PM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

>>> depends on the country, commercial breaks longer than 10 minutes are not
>>> rare in germany and 6 minutes is more like the minimum commercial break
>>> length during primetime.
>>>
>> Note that this setting only really benefits people who set, "Automatically
>> Skip Commercials," to "Automatically Skip."  For users who use, "Notify, but
>> do not skip," the setting actually removes capability.
>>
>> As it is, any commercial break that's longer than, "Maximum commercial skip
>> (in seconds)," is ignored and commercial skipping is disabled until you're
>> within, "Maximum commercial skip (in seconds)," of a mark.  This setting
>> also prevents users from jumping from section to section of the recording
>> using SKIPCOMMERCIAL (Z,End) and SKIPCOMMBACK (Q,Home) keys when those
>> sections are longer than, "Maximum commercial skip (in seconds)."
>>
>> Those using, "Notify, but do not skip," can actually hit SKIPCOMMERCIAL if
>> they feel the time mentioned on the notification is appropriate--or, as is
>> often the case with me, they can hit SKIPCOMMERCIAL even if they ignore the
>> time mentioned on the notification--and if it jumps way too far, just hit
>> SKIPCOMMBACK (or SEEKRWD or JUMPRWND to go back.
>>
> Except that if you press the commercial skip button a second time it
> will skip the commercial even if it's longer than the max length.
>
> I have mine set to 5 minutes, and I have notify turned on. Half the
> time I don't notice how long the commercial is before hitting skip, so
> I definitely appreciate the warning. Also, I'd say that most of the
> time when break is over 5 minutes the actual commercial break is less
> than that, so I usually use the 30-second skip after the warning.

Ah, yeah.  If you hit the button again within 3 seconds, it skips.  Even
better--further proof that it's only useful as a sanity check.

You either SKIPCOMMERCIAL then SKIPCOMMBACK or SKIPCOMMERCIAL then
SEEKREW/JUMPREW without "Maximum commercial skip (in seconds)".  Or,
with "Maximum commercial skip (in seconds)", you SKIPCOMMERCIAL then
SKIPCOMMERCIAL again within 3s or SKIPCOMMERCIAL then SEEKFFWD/JUMPFFW.
With or without the max requires manual-user-intervention to do the
right thing (whether or not you've enabled, "Automatically skip").

Mike