[mythtv-users] [OT] - Known good S-video out cards?

Tony Lill ajlill at ajlc.waterloo.on.ca
Tue Nov 3 17:35:17 UTC 2009

Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>    I'm wondering if anyone can recommend any cards that KNOWN good
> S-video out and don't cost and arm & a leg? The Open Source ATI driver
> does a VERY bad job with the ATI chipset in this machine (9100 IGP)
> and the developers are non-responsive about whether they will fix it
> or not. The older closed source ATI driver worked very well but ATI
> dropped support for this device and I'd like to keep the machines up
> to date if possible.
>
>    I don't personally care much about ATI or nvidia, but I would like
> a GPU that's supported using Open Source drivers.
>
>    The machines are dedicated Myth front ends and I don't require
> anything like HDTV at this time as it is all going over S-video. Best
> if I can get fanless and low profile as the Pundit-R isn't a large
> box.

I'm currently running the Nvidia  GeForce 8400 GS. Fanless and does
S-video and component out, as well as dvi and vga. The card's short
but the back panel is full height to hold all the connectors.

I'm currently using S-video. Component works too, but the card
wouldn't detect it when it was plugged in with my receiver, only when
plugged directly into the TV, and I didn't feel like playing around
with the config to force it.

The 190.42 drivers came out of beta, so I can now do overscan
correction, yay!

--
Tony Lill,                         Tony.Lill at AJLC.Waterloo.ON.CA
President, A. J. Lill Consultants                 (519) 650 0660